Thursday, October 28, 2010

Rev. Josiah Henson

Rev. Josiah Henson"Uncle Tom's story of his life." An autobiography of the Rev. Josiah Henson (Mrs. Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Tom"). From 1789 to 1876 Author Josiah Henson
Editor John Lobb Publisher: Christian age office, 1876.

Works published prior to 1978 were copyright protected for a maximum of 75 years. See Circular 1 "COPYRIGHT BASICS" PDF from the U.S. Copyright Office. Works published works before 1923, in this case 1876, are now in the public domain.

Rev. Josiah Henson escaped to Canada on 28 October 1830.
"It was the 28th of October, 1830, in the morning, when my feet first touched the Canada shore. I threw myself on the ground, rolled in the sand, seized handfuls of it and kissed them, and danced around, till, in the eyes of several who were present, I passed for a madman. " He's some crazy fellow," said a Colonel Warren, who happened to be there. " Oh no, master ! don't you know ? I'm free !" He burst into a shout of laughter. " Well, I never knew freedom make a man roll in the sand in such a fashion." Still I could not control myself. I hugged and kissed my wife and children, and, until the first exuberant burst of feeling was over, went on as before." Excerpt From: "Uncle Tom's Story Of His Life": An autobiography of the Rev. Josiah Henson

No comments:

Post a Comment